Saturday, December 21, 2013

On Having Enough...

Matthew 15:32-39
“I have compassion on the crowd because they have been with me now three days and have nothing to eat. And I am unwilling to send them away hungry, lest they faint on the way.”

Jesus. What compassion. How often I misread your eyes, your tone; Your heart for me. These words remind me that You are full of compassion. You are unwilling to for me to walk around empty and hungry. You want me full.

I often respond as your disciples did- hearing you say something you didn’t. You expressed your compassion and unwillingness to send the crowd away hungry, and they heard- ‘you guys go figure out on your own how to meet the need’.

“Where are WE to get enough bread…?”

How often do I think in terms of what I Don’t have enough of- not enough time, not enough money, not enough help, not enough strength for my days, not enough compassion or understanding from those around me. Not enough of things going the way I expected…

 Why do I always see not enough?  Why do I often feel as though I am never enough?

 Jesus redirects perspective though, to take an account of what I already DO posses.

And Jesus said to them, “How many loaves DO you have?”
“They said, “Seven, and a few small fish.”

Do you ever feel like this? Looking within, taking stock and there's just a few small fish flopping around. Goldfish size. A few loaves. Just about empty...

But Jesus reminds me- It’s never about what I don’t have. Only about what I already possess- in Him.

And it will be more than enough.

I only have a little bit, Lord…

 Yes, what we have to offer is small. But he will make it more than enough. Through eyes turned upward, through thanksgiving for what we do have, he will make it not only enough -

He will make it enough to fill you and to bless others.

“And they all ate and were satisfied and they took up seven baskets full of the broken pieces left over.”



No comments:

Post a Comment