Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New roads

Woke up to a heavy fog today. (No, I am not referring to my state of mind prior to my morning coffee.) It hung over my town for miles. As I drove my daughter to school we talked about things that we are thankful for. For family, our house, the gift of God’s Son to us. 

Thankfulness stirs up joy. Memories of past blessings and reminders of current ones do a lot to add joy to your morning cup.


 
Driving home after, I peered through the fog ahead. The tail-lights not far in front of me were disappearing into the mist. I was reminded of a drive my husband and I were on years ago, coming home from my mom’s house 800 miles from home...

We were on an unfamiliar road and the fog was thick that day, too. After over an hour of driving at a snail’s pace with almost zero visibility, my husband announced he had to go to the bathroom! Me I could hold it. Him - not so much.  How would we stop? We couldn’t make out anything on our left or right so to pull to the side of the road could mean heading into a ditch or off a cliff! We were just trying to keep the car in front of us in sight so we knew we were still on the road! Needless to say, he managed to hang in there until the fog lifted enough to pull over, but what a nail-biting ride that was, driving on an unfamiliar road with zero visibility.

Sometimes our journey with God can seem like that.

Suddenly the familiar is gone, and we’re out on roads we’ve never traveled before and can’t see what’s out in front of us.

 But God can.

He’s walked the road before us and knows the way. So next time you’re caught in a fog (literal or the life-season kind)  Remember,

  Someone’s with you that knows the road as well as you know the ones around your own house.

Just remember to let him do the driving. 

     Psalm 23 The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou are with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment